Letter to Patients
May 17th, 2020
To our Patients
Thank you, for your understanding during this COVID-19 Pandemic. We hope that you and your family are healthy and safe. As of May 15th, Dr. Bonnie Henry our Provincial Health officer in consultation with the B.C. Centre for Disease Control and WorkSafe B.C. have initiated Phase 2 of re-opening. This will start May 19th, 2020 and will include our dental office. Since the ordered closure we have taken measures to ensure the safety of our patients, dentists, and team members. Your safety and protection take the highest priority.
Over the last two months we have been diligently working to put in place the Personal Protection Equipment required to accomplish this. Many of the protocols we have used regarding universal precautions have been in place for years and have been very successful in protecting our patients and team. Including, bibs, drapes, eye protection, hand washing, operatory disinfection protocols and sterilization. We wish to reassure our patients that everything possible is being done to create the safest environment possible. Fortunately, we have a modern, new, clean facility with amenities expertly designed for a safe office. These include:
- Touchless hand washing stations for patients and staff in operatories and common areas.
- New and up to date sterilization equipment.
- Touchless contaminated work areas where non-sterile instruments and equipment can be isolated and safely stored until ready for sterilization.
- Scanning technology.
- Modern HVAC system with scheduled maintenance to ensure good fresh air exchange and filtration. We have increased the percent of fresh air exchange and have the fans running continuously to increase overall air exchange in the office and common areas.
- Hospital grade disinfection protocols for office and common areas.
In addition, other measures that we are taking to ensure a safe clean environment for everyone. Include:
- A wellness screening form for patients regarding COVID-19 symptoms. Patients presenting with symptoms of COVID-19 will not be seen and will be re-scheduled at an appropriate time to address their dental treatment.
- A pre-screening protocol for staff regarding COVID-19 symptoms including signed forms and temperature check at the beginning of their workday each day until given notice by the CDSBC that it is not required.
- Pre-treatment oral rinse.
- Increased frequency of surface cleaning in reception on hard surfaces and door handles.
- Physical spacing of patients in reception allowing for social distancing.
- Spacing of appointments to reduce congestion in reception.
- Clear Perspex barriers at Point of sale counters to protect staff and patients.
- All magazines and toys have been removed from the reception area to reduce chances of cross contamination.
- Items and displays have been removed from operatory counters.
- Face shields for staff.
- N95 mask fitting for staff.
- Using non-cash payment such as credit cards and debit.
- Receipts will be e-mailed to patients to reduce contact points when possible.
- One way valves to prevent back flow on all suctions.
For patients with appointments please continue to maintain social distancing in reception and be aware of social distancing decals on the floor. Wash your hands and use the sanitizing stations provided. Over the next week our reception staff will be reaching out to check and make sure you are in good health. Please let us know if you have any concerns regarding booking appointments. We are here to answer all your questions and make sure you feel secure and safe when coming to the dentist. As Dr. Bonnie Henry says, “be calm, be kind, be safe” and we will all get through this together.
Dr. Andrew Macdonnell & Team
Advance Dental Group.